Today, I completed a Lower Body Density workout that I designed over the weekend. I came away from the workout with a few observations:
- Density-style training for the lower body is difficult
- I enjoy squats & deadlifts better when NOT doing them in a density-style workout
- Walking may be difficult tomorrow, even with a proper amount of stretching this evening
- There’s a very good chance that I will be doing a different lower body workout next week
Don’t get me wrong, I definitely believe that this evening’s workout was worth the effort. But, there were a few things about it that left me feeling less than satisfied:
- Total volume of weight lifted this week is less than last week
- I fatigued very quickly due to the pace of this workout
- I enjoyed the 5 Sets of 5 Reps Lower Body workout from last month much more
My initial thought is to scrap this workout & go back to what I had been doing the last 4 weeks. But something about that is bothering me.
I’m a firm believer in finishing what I’ve started. Quitting isn’t an option, especially in the weight room. So the thought of scrapping this workout after one session isn’t sitting well with me.
What to do?
I’m leaning towards going back to last month’s lower body workout. No, that doesn’t make me a quitter. I know myself well enough to know that if I don’t like something, I will do whatever I can to avoid it. I think most people tend to be that way.
With that thought in mind, I can already see where this Lower Body Density workout is heading. By week #3, I will be cutting sets short & putting forth a sub-par effort. Discipline goes out the window when the desire is low.
So, I will be going back to my previous lower body workout. Not because I am a quitter or because the workout I did tonight was “too hard”. I will be going back to my previous workout because I know that I will put forth a maximum effort when I step foot in the weight room.
Honestly, out of the 4 weight lifting workouts I have designed for the final 5 weeks of this contest, the Lower Body Density workout is the one that I was the least sure of. Something about it just didn’t sit well with me. Now that I have actually done the workout, I know I was correct. It’s not a total loss though. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Today’s Workout Track Listing:
- Show Me How to Live – Audioslave
- New World Man – Rush
- Intergalactic – Beastie Boys
- #1 – Nelly
- Prison Sex – Tool
- Peace Frog – The Doors
- Searching With My Good Eye Closed – Soundgarden
- 4 Degrees – Tool